flower friendship bracelet

we all get by with a little help from our friends... in my case all the gorgeous yarns and charms and wonderful things that I alter and use in my shop come from other shops and my friends purchase from me giving me the money to at least keep my shop open, if not be rollin' in the dough. :D
this awesome little bracelet is taken very specifically from Happy Berry Crochet - how to crochet flower chains v2 - and has been altered so that it better suited my needs. I do not have her permission so you're going to see her name all over the damned place because I adore her and often use her tutorials and patterns to make things and I think it's important to give credit where it is due. I altered Laura's amazing perfect thing. :D

Yarns that you will see have been crafted by Camelot Dyeworks LLC, ColourRedefined, Handmade by Maddy and in our own kitchen... click their names for links.
I get my charms all over the place, the ones featured here came from theBlueBeadle and OverstockBeadSupply... and the big hole beads came from 1JewelryJunky... click their names for links.
What You Need
DK or sock/fingering weight yarn scraps
3.5mm crochet hook
beads, charms, buttons or jewelry findings to use as part of your clasp
yarn or darning needle
scissors

Abbreviations
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
sl = slip stitch

Notes
- I am altering Happy Berry Crochet's pattern in the following ways: I am chaining less between flowers, I am adding a charm or bead or button to make a clasp and I am chaining at the end to add a loop for the clasp. This is otherwise Laura's pattern.
- The real beauty of this pattern is that you work each flower as a whole at a time and don't have to come back along your chain to finish the other side on a second row. The trick is Laura's genius use of a double crochet to finish the center loop, which moves your first petal up to the top, or joining edge, of your flower. Genius should always be rewarded when recognized, and this is genius!
- Some buttons have small holes, you can feed sock yarn down into them by using a needle and thread and looping over a piece of yarn laying on top of the button or bead and pulling it down and through.
by looping the thread and needle that fits through the hole over the yarn
you can tug the yarn down and through the hole 
that was next to impossible to thread with wool sock yarn. 
it's a cheater's threading tool
when feeding your yarn through pay attention to the face of the button
you want it to be face up with the knot on the bottom
my illustration is upside down... 
to thread these butterflies you start from the "wrong" side and go up
then back down from the pretty side to the "wrong" side again.
-These awesome little bracelets take about 20 minutes each to make, maybe a little more while you're learning. They're a perfect little something something to add to a gift.

Flower Friendship Bracelet
this pattern does not work in rows, it works in flowers, so I will list the pattern logically
-feed a button or charm or bead onto your yarn and knot close to the "clasp"
-slip your crochet hook up towards your working yarn ball under the knot at the back of your bead, clasp etc... yarn over and pull up a loop to get your crochet started
 really what it looks like
super easy... if you can't get your hook under the knot just tug a bit
yarn has some give to it so you should be able to feed your hook
through the one time you need to.
1. ch 5, yarn over and dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 2 and 2 dc and ch 2 and sl into center of loop you made... this is petal one
2. ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2 and sl into center of loop... petal two
3. ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2 and sl into center of loop ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CHAIN CONNECTED TO THE BUTTON/CHARM/OTHER FLOWER... petal 3
4. ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2 and sl into center of loop... petal 4
5. ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2 and sl into center of loop... petal 5...
6. ch 5, yarn over and dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 2 and 2 dc and ch 2 and sl into center of loop you made... this is petal one of flower 2
keep repeating the process until you have the number of petals you need to go around your wrist... I have been doing 7 flowers because I wear an 8" bracelet and because I am using sock/fingering weight yarn which is a little smaller... little guys probably only need 4 flowers
once you have as many flowers as you need ch 8-14 after your fifth petal and sl into the same space and sew in your end (for the little charms and big hole beads I only need to ch 8, for the butterfly buttons I need to ch 14. test it before you sl and tie in your end.)

and that's really it. LOL

yep. :D awesome gorgeous little flower bracelets!

Comments

Popular Posts