BOO! 6 Days of Halloween Minis Just In Time! OWLS!!!

All week it's something new... so that by the end of the week you can create all of the little dolls pictured below.

Yep... that's GHOSTS, BATS, OWLS, SKULLS and FLOWERS, PUMPKINS and LEAVES, CANDY CORN and WITCHES HATS, and as always... free when posted here on the 12SquaredCreations blog. 
These dolls and many others are listed for sale in my Etsy shop... or you can use these free patterns to make your own.

I designed these patterns to demonstrate the versatility of a single shape with minor changes or simple decorations... All of these dolls begin with a simple ball shape and come out very differently based on what you do with them. The closest to the original shape are the bat and pumpkin, and the farthest is a tie between the ghost and the skull.

Every day this week I will be posting free patterns, today we have this super easy and awesome fat little owl!

Supplies
Worsted weight yarns in the colors you need - I used Fair Isle Yarn Liberty Jeepers Creepers Craft Can black, cloud, tangerine and pansy, and additional colors hyacinth and turmeric
**Update: I used Herrschners Worsted 8 Halloween Shimmer in a variety of colors this year.
4.5mm crochet hook
darning or yarn needle
scissors
12 mm buttons or safety eyes
stitch marker or contrasting yarn to use as a stitch marker
polyfill or other stuffing. mine is always mixed with the yarn cuttings from previous projects

Abbreviations
MR = Magic Ring
SC = Single Crochet
SL ST = Slip Stitch
INC = Increase
DEC = Decrease
F/O = Finish Off
FLO = Front Loop Only
BLO = Back Loop Only

Notes
You are working in the round, using a stitch marker will really help.


Back Loop Only or BLO means you are working in the back part of the V formed at the top of each crochet stitch. This forms a flat turn or "sharp corner" in your work. It gives the owl a flat bum to sit on.

Front Loop Only or FLO means you are working in the front part of the V formed at the top of each crochet stitch. This forms a flip out for your little witch's hat.

Make all of your parts before you begin because you are adding the eyes and sewing on the beak before you stuff and close your owl.

To make smaller eye circles stop at Round 2 and F/O.

To make fluffier looking wings add a CH between all SC in Round 2.

To make tufts at the "ears" of your owl thread 3 or 4 6" pieces of yarn through your needle and sew them through the points and then tie them in a knot.

These little dolls are addictive, be prepared to go wild with color changes and inspiration... and please, show me what you come up with and tag me at 12SquaredCreations on Instagram so I can see what you made!
Owl
I used Fair Isle Liberty yarn in a variety of colors including: Tangerine, Pansy and Cloud
**Update: I used Herrschners Worsted 8 Halloween Shimmer in Purple Potion, Jack-o-Lantern and Ghost
Round 1: 6 SC in a MR (6) - tighten and sew in your ends after Round 2
Round 2: INC in each around (12)
Round 3: SC and INC and repeat around (18)
Round 4: BLO 2 SC and INC and repeat around (24)
Round 5: 3 SC and INC and repeat around (30)
Round 6: 4 SC and INC and repeat around (36)
Rounds 7-13: SC around (36)
Round 14: 4 SC and DEC and repeat around (30)
Round 15: SC around (30)
Add eyes and beak now. Instructions below.
Stuff your little owl as fat and round as you can get him without showing fluff through the stitches of his body.
Round 16: SC through front and back loops to sew the top closed (15)
F/O and sew in your ends, hide the tail in the body

Eye Circles
Make 2 in whatever color you want your circles to be
Round 1: 6 SC in a MR (6) - tighten down and tie off ends after Round 2
Round 2: INC in each around (12)
Round 3: SC and INC and repeat around (18)
F/O and leave a tail for attaching to body if you are not using safety eyes only

Wings
Make 2 in whatever color you want your wings to be
Round 1: 6 SC in a MR (6) - tighten down and tie off ends after Round 2
Round 2: INC in each around (12)
0F/O - leave a tail for attaching to the body.

I used special "owl eye" safety eyes, and black or any other color of eye works just as well. I centered my eye circles where I wanted them and attached them using the safety eye through whites and body first and then stitched around the circle with my leftover tail so I could tie off inside the body and leave the tails there as extra stuffing.

I attached my wings even with the bottoms of the eyes because the little owls are so small. Fold the top of the circle and stitch through the top 2 stitches then attach each to the sides of the owl, tie off inside and leave the ends as extra stuffing.

I embroidered their little beaks on using some yarn and my yarn needle. I did this before I stuffed the owl because I hate pulling fluff out on my thread, you can do this after you have closed the owl if you prefer.

Witch's Hat
I used Fair Isle Liberty yarn in black for this, and any colors will really do, it's all up to you.
**Update: I made my witch's hats from Herrschners Worsted 8 Halloween Shimmer in Bewitched this year
Round 1: SC 4 in MR (4) - pull tight and sew in ends after Round 2
Round 2: SC around (4)
After I sew in my end I use the back of my crochet hook to push the little point up the right way. I find that when I crochet the little bits almost want to roll wrong side out until I make a point of turning them.
Round 3: SC and INC and repeat (6)
Round 4: SC around (6)
Round 5: SC and INC around (9)
Round 6: SC around (9)
Round 7: 2 SC and INC and repeat around (12)
Round 8: SC and INC and repeat around (18)
Round 9: FLO 2 SC and INC and repeat around (24)
Round 10: 3 SC and INC and repeat around (30)
F/O and sew in end and trim. If you want to stitch the hat to your mini ami, then leave the tail or cut another piece of yarn to sew it down with. I secured mine because I didn't want it going anywhere. 

Go crazy and remember to share your results with me and tag me on Instagram!

Comments

Popular Posts