12Squared Simple Gifts - Stamped Clay Ornaments

cookie cutters... stamps or textured items around the house... and acrylic paint

what could be simpler? or more fun? I went non-traditional with my ornaments and you can see the final products in my Etsy shop or below in photos.

Regardless of what you decide to do... have fun and please show me pictures! @12SquaredCreations on Instagram.

Supplies
Polymer Clay - I paint my own so the flesh colored Super Sculpey works for me
Cookie cutters or you can freehand cut shapes
Acrylic paint - solid colors, metallic and glitter paints
Stamps or textured items from around your home
Paint brushes
Toothpick to poke holes for hanging ornaments and draw textures on the clay before baking
Ornament hooks, paper clips or jewelry wire to make hooks for hanging

Some quick tips and warnings.
DO NOT PAINT POLYMER CLAY WITH NAIL POLISH OR ANYTHING CONTAINING ACETONE. You will see online that lots of people do it, they even recommend it. This eats the clay and slowly turns it gooey over time. It will never get better, just gooeyer and gooeyer until they're ruined. Trust me. Don't do it.
Overbaking makes polymer clay brittle, pay attention to the time in the oven.
Underbaking makes polymer clay unstable and it can either break like a cookie or stay flexible like rubber.
Acrylic paint is perfect for polymer clay, they're both plastic and work great together.
Elmer's Glue... yep. Regular school glue. Works awesome. Dries clear.
Watered down Elmer's Glue seals great. 1/2 and 1/2 water and glue, stir until evenly mixed and use a paintbrush to brush over the ornament.

Stamped Clay Ornaments
1. Gather your textured items and clay onto a kitchen counter or work surface
2. Roll out the clay. I use a pasta roller, but you can roll with a regular rolling pin or plastic dowel. I go to 1/4" or so thick
3. Press your textured items into the clay, do not use the cookie cutters yet. :D Be creative, overlap and make fun textures. Draw with a toothpick or fork or end of a paintbrush.
4. Cut with cookie cutters.
5. Add holes and smooth the edges gently with your fingers.
6. Bake the clay (Super Sculpey bakes at 275 degrees for 15 minutes per 1/4" thickness - read the package of your clay and follow the directions on the package, they're all just a little different)
7. Allow the clay to cool completely before painting or decorating.
8. Paint or add glue and glitter and any other embellishments that you like. Below you will see samples of many different treatments, and I've described them all in the notes under the picture.

Have tons of fun! These gorgeous little things make the most amazing gifts... things that last a long time in an ornament collection.

Galaxy
Paint the whole ornament front and back with black paint.
Gently dab different bright colors over the black paint in "nebulae" or "cloud" shapes.
Using a wet fingertip or damp sponge or brush gently add little bits of metallic paint like sheer clouds.
Splatter by tapping a paintbrush with a little bit of white paint on it to create "stars."
Draw 6 point stars with white paint or a white pen here and there for bigger brighter stars.

3D
I added eyes and flowers and leaves to the stamped ornament before baking then painted by the directions above. You can see below how I textured them all and then added 3D elements to some.
These are listed in my shop for sale, different types are arriving as I get them done. :D

Comments

  1. These are super cute! I especially love the nebulous paint technique that you used. I think that I am going to have to get myself some Sculpty soon. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts